- Typical Vertical Forms – These forms are most commonly made with light materials, they are ideally used for floors and other long vertical surfaces, like a driveway. These types of forms can be used inside and outside the house. Ideal decorative ideas for these are simple and repeated stamped concrete patterns. You can try a tile pattern for a modern themed house, or large irregular shapes that give your floor an older and more classic look. It is important to keep in mind that designs for floors should be kept simple, because complicated pattern can contrast with the walls.
- Easily Adaptable Forms – These are ideal for decorative wall designs. You can also use the typical vertical forms, but make sure that they are stronger and heavier, so as to provide a sturdy support. Ideal designs include a stamp pattern, an acid stained look, or simple swirl patterns. If it’s for your backyard, a stone design is ideal; for the house interior any look can go as long as you match it with the right color and furniture. You can also try putting in holes, or cutting the forms into long triangular jigsaw patterns for decorative walls, like the patio or if you plan on building a small waterfall in your backyard.
- Small Vertical Forms – These are ideal for concrete chairs that you can put in your backyard or front porch, if you wish to. They are the same as vertical forms, and so you can apply the same techniques, but they can have more intricate overlay designs.
- Radius Forms – These are curved forms that can be made into circular or irregular shaped structures. Ideal for swimming pools, or walls with decorative purposes. Overlay and stained designs can go extremely well with these types of forms.
- Customized Forms – Since these are customized they are made into shapes that will fit your decorative ideas; although be sure to only use this if you have a set look in your mind already, because customized forms can be very tricky to use.
Other possible designs with overlay style include:
- Arched entryways
- Theme rooms
- Fireplace front
- Accented walls
Use the overlay style to create stone, wood, or other surface designs. The overlay style can go with almost anything. You can buy ready concrete wall forms for sale from suppliers like Leco Concrete Forms & Supply.
Commercial Forming Systems, Gate & Sons, 2012
Design Possibilities With Vertical Overlays, ConcreteNetwork.com